Shruti Box Mata Hari
A high-quality musical instrument with large bellows that provide a full sound, even when several valves are open.
This accompaniment instrument from classical Indian music is nowadays widely used to support mantra singing, world music and folk music.
- The frame is made of wood and the sides are made of MDF.
- Metal carry handle on top.
- Comes with a black carrying case.
- Tones from c to c '.
- Measurements: 36cm x 27cm x 6cm.
Can be used as an altar instrument, during healing ceremonies, etc
Each instrument is handmade and may therefore differ slightly in terms of execution from this description / photos.
THE SHRUTI BOX
The Shruti box, also called surpeti, is a perfect instrument for world music, improvisation, voice work, overtone singing, music therapy and all kinds of Indian music. It gives a full, supportive buzzing sound (“drone”) and is sturdy, mobile and extremely easy to handle. To get started, you must first unlock the wooden latches of the bellows on both sides. Then open the sliders for the notes you want to sound. Finally, gently move the bellows to one side and the music will sound!
WHO IS THE SHRUTI BOX SUITABLE FOR?
The Shruti box does not need to be tuned and does not require extensive playing technique. This instrument is therefore suitable for musical beginners as well as for professional musicians, teachers, therapists and artists. The box produces a pleasantly natural acoustic blanket for any kind of music and allows you to stay focused on singing, talking, watching or moving while playing.
The Shruti box produces a powerful carrying buzzing sound and is extremely easy to play. It is ideally suited for accompanying Indian music, voice work, improvisation, overtone singing or Indian wind instruments, especially the bansuri (bamboo flute). The sound and tone production is comparable to that of a harmonium or an accordion: metal straws in the instrument vibrate the air that passes past it. Air movement is controlled by two bellows on either side of the instrument. One side has 13 levers. When opened, air can flow out from the inside and the straw under the handle creates a note. The Shruti box covers a full octave of 13 chromatic semitones. That way you can freely choose a tone that best suits your specific needs. For a particularly rich and full sound it is recommended to add a fifth or a lower fourth to the tonic. Any other combination is of course also possible. The advantage of this instrument over a harmonium: smaller, lighter, cheaper, easier to transport and to play.
HOW TO PLAY
The Shruti box can be played with one hand while sitting, standing or even walking. First you need to open the side handles, which lock the instrument. Then open the sliders for the desired tone - this side of the instrument should face you. Now place your hand on top of the instrument and push the side without the handles towards yourself. The volume can be adjusted by varying the tempo and pressure applied to the bellows. When you release the pressure from your fingers, the bellows will automatically expand and you can press again to get a continuous sound. By putting your hand through the handle of the instrument, you can carry and play it with one hand at the same time. Alternatively, you can also thread a strap through the handle and hang the instrument around your neck.
TIPS FOR PLAYING
It is best to keep the Shruti box on a flat surface or a stable surface. Alternatively, it can be carried by the handle to allow free movement while playing. Volume and continuity of the sound depend on the speed of movement and pressure on the bellows. You will get a feel for it in no time. A particularly round and beautiful humming sound is created by adding the fifth or fourth note above the selected root note (also called “tonic”). Other combinations of notes are also possible, depending on individual preference - from major chords to dissonant clusters. But beware: more sounding notes mean more air consumption - harder pumping is required to maintain a stable sound!
The Shruti box was developed from the European harmonium, which was brought to India by missionaries in the 19th century. It is also called a surpeti and has traditionally been used mainly for the vocal accompaniment of folk and religious music. The lack of a keyboard makes it a pure drone (bourdon) instrument. Drone instruments continuously sound single or multiple tones whose uninterrupted presence creates an open space of sound. This space can be filled in by melodies or other musical structures. The concept of the drone is an essential part of Indian music.
More jewellery, accesoires, altar equipment and much more can be found at www.luciferothica.com
© Luciferothica.com All Rights Reserved.
1-2 business days
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
1. Personal information
To fulfil your order, you must provide me with certain information (which you authorised Etsy to provide to me), such as your name, email address, postal address, payment information, and the details of the product that you’re ordering. You may also choose to provide me with additional personal information (for a custom order of jewellery, for example), if you contact me directly.
2. Why I Need Your Information and How I Use It
I rely on a number of legal bases to collect, use, and share your information, including:
• as needed to provide my services, such as when I use your information to fulfil your order, to settle disputes, or to provide customer support;
• when you have provided your affirmative consent, which you may revoke at any time, such as by signing up for my mailing list;
• if necessary to comply with a legal obligation or court order or in connection with a legal claim, such as retaining information about your purchases if required by tax law; and
3. Information Sharing and Disclosure
Information about my customers is important to my business. I share your personal information for very limited reasons and in limited circumstances, as follows:
• Service providers. I engage certain trusted third parties to perform functions and provide services to my shop, such as delivery companies. I will share your personal information with these third parties, but only to the extent necessary to perform these services.
• Business transfers. If I sell or merge my business, I may disclose your information as part of that transaction, only to the extent permitted by law.
• Compliance with laws. I may collect, use, retain, and share your information if I have a good faith belief that it is reasonably necessary to: (a) respond to legal process or to government requests; (b) enforce my agreements, terms and policies; (c) prevent, investigate, and address fraud and other illegal activity, security, or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property, and safety of my customers, or others.
4. Data Retention
5. Transfers of Personal Information Outside the EU
I may store and process your information through third-party hosting services in the US and other jurisdictions. As a result, I may transfer your personal information to a jurisdiction with different data protection and government surveillance laws than your jurisdiction. If I am deemed to transfer information about you outside of the EU, I rely on Privacy Shield as the legal basis for the transfer, as Google Cloud is Privacy Shield certified.
6. Your Rights
If you reside in certain territories, including the EU, you have a number of rights in relation to your personal information. While some of these rights apply generally, certain rights apply only in certain limited cases. I describe these rights below:
• Access. You may have the right to access and receive a copy of the personal information I hold about you by contacting me using the contact information below.
• Change, restrict, delete. You may also have rights to change, restrict my use of, or delete your personal information. Absent exceptional circumstances (like where I am required to store data for legal reasons) I will generally delete your personal information upon request.
• Object. You can object to (i) my processing of some of your information based on my legitimate interests and (ii) receiving marketing messages from me after providing your express consent to receive them. In such cases, I will delete your personal information unless I have compelling and legitimate grounds to continue using that information or if it is needed for legal reasons.
• Complain. If you reside in the EU and wish to raise a concern about my use of your information (and without prejudice to any other rights you may have), you have the right to do so with your local data protection authority.
How to Contact Me
For purposes of EU data protection law, I, Samira Gzom, am the data controller of your personal information. If you have any questions or concerns, you may contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org Alternately, you may mail me at:
Samira Gzom, Tuinwijk 5, 8980 Geluveld, Belgium
Presents are random suprises and can be of any kind!
The shipment fee is not included to reach the 25€ ordering amount.
Ofcourse we do!
Yes we do! facebook.com/luciferothica/
We are an online shop. To check out the items with your own eyes, come visit us at one of the many events, fairs, parties or festivals in West-Europe.
We use a low cost shipping formula with includes following courriers; DPD, DHL, Deutsche Post. Shipping prices are as low as possible!
We send / ship all packages with tracking method. This means you receive a tracking code upon the first scan of your package. You can follow the route of your order.
Depending on the return reason, we may or may not charge you with re-shipping cost if you would like us to replace your parcel.
The following return reasons require reshipping fee (if you would like us to resend your parcel):
1. Unknown reason/Refused or Rejected - customs tax, import tax or extra fees not settled by recepient;
2. Insufficient/ Incorrect address - recipient incorrectly input a wrong address;
3. Unclaimed - Parcels left at local customs and post office and was not claimed during the allowed time.